Re: moving partitions?

On Sunday 01 May 2005 17:53, Joey Hess wrote:
| martin f krafft wrote:
| > partman can resize partitions, and that works. Can it also move
| > partitions around? Or is the only utility really to shrink an
| > existing partition and to squeeze a Debian partition in between the
| > existing ones?
|
| partman has the ability to copy partitions..

I used that to move partitions about, several months ago.
At that time, i had some unused space, and partitions before and after it,
  and i wanted to  move all partitions from after free space to before it,
  so partman and cfdisk would not create conflictiing partition numbers.
I was moving a whole set of partitions around, so i needed to keep track of
  which partition was which,
  and only thing that identified that on partition level were labels
  (of the kind that e2label makes),
   as these are copied when a partition is copied.
Installer did not show these labels (i don't know whether it does now),
  and cfdisk, which does show them,
  does not show them correctly after installer has changed partition table.
To get cfdisk to read partition table again, i had to reboot,
   after every copy or delete operation.

Copy facility can be used for moving partitions about,
  but it is rather tedious.

have fun !

  Siward