Re: IBM RS6k 43P-140 d-i boot failure

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eduard Bloch" <edi@gmx.de>
To: <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 3:26 PM
Subject: IBM RS6k 43P-140 d-i boot failure

> Hello,

> I try to install Sarge with d-i on a IBM RS600 machine (prep class, from
1997).
> Unfortunately, the install system dies with the messages below.
>
> The boot CD is a regular CD1 for PPC, weekly snapshot, assembled with
jigdo
> last week wednesday (IIRC). Unfortnately I cannot see the problem. I
assume I
> need to specify a different boot image but I don't see where. With the
video
> card built-in, I get the SMS console where I can open a boot console with
F8.
> There I have also tried to specify boot
> cdrom:\install\powerpc\...\vmlinux-prep.initrd, I got an "ok" but nothing
> happened. And with the serial console only, I get the attached thing.

I have had the opportunity to install the woody branch on my 7043p-140 a
year or two ago.
AFAIK there is need for a kernel patch to get a loader prompt to setup the
needed kernel parameters (in this case root=<something>)because some PReP
machines have some problems passing the parameters to the kernel. I have
been able to get it installed with help from
http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/ . You can also get bootdisks there. To
get it running with sarge isos someone has to add a boot system to a not
recently used
PPC cdimage.

> loaded at:     00600400 00A98FF4
> relocated to:  00800000 00C98BF4
> zimage at:     0080A94C 0093E5DA
> initrd at:     0093F000 00C8E607
> avail ram:     00400000 00800000
> __kbdreset failed: 00000009
>
> Linux/PPC load: console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0

Can you enter the root option for the ramdisk in the above line when using
a serial terminal?
If yes, you should be able to add the root option and install the system

> Uncompressing Linux...done.
> Now booting the kernel
> Total memory = 64MB; using 128kB for hash table (at c0300000)
> Linux version 2.6.8-powerpc (sven@pegasos2) (version gcc 3.3.5 (Debian
1:3.3.5-6)) #1 Sat Jan 29 21:15:23 CET 2005
> PReP architecture
> IBM planar ID: 000000d5
> MPIC at 0xfefc0000 (0x3efc0000), length 0x00040000 mapped to 0xeffc0000
> Built 1 zonelists
> Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0

This one looks like he got the options from "Linux/PPC load" above.

> OpenPIC Version 1.0 (4 CPUs and 16 IRQ sources) at effc0000
> PID hash table entries: 512 (order 9: 4096 bytes)

-->cut<--

> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.
> VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(8,3)

This is the line where the kernel can not mount root, because he does not
know where it is.

> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,3)
>  <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds..

I think Leigh Brown, Maintainer of solinno.co.uk, can help us in this one.
He has got his 140 running with sarge since january 2005.

Regards,

Matthias Petz