Re: Installing Debian on a PowerMac G5

Hello everyone,

Just to update you all - and perhaps provide reward for anyone googling.

Gaudenz Steinlin suggested that the first stage yaboot (the ofboot.b
OpenFirmare script) was unable to load the second stage and that this
was related to me installing Debian on my second SATA hard disk.

"The root cause of this is probably that the ofpath utility does not
correctly identify the OpenFirmware path to your Bootstrap partition
(where the yaboot second stage is installed)."

Gaudenz was right in this respect and a confirmation to bug #294081
should be filed. Can someone please help me with this as I am unsure
of the correct procedure. The bug can be seen at

As an aside, to side-step this problem I simply installed Debian on my
primary disk - and everything worked like a charm. Everything but X,
that's for another list! ;)

Particular thanks goes to Sven for his help with my problems off-list.

Thanks guys!

Noah