Re: Ubuntu release 3.o woody

Congratulations,

You've just won the price for the the weirdest title of a mail on this
list...
- Ubuntu, although derived from Debian, has nothing to de with this list.
- Ubuntu certainly has nothing to do with Woody as it's based on sid.

We'll just assume that you're installing Woody. The number of CD's is
consistent with that at least ;-)

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 23:19, finjurdata wrote:
> I bought debian on a total of 5 cd's and the problem is on my poweredge
> dell sc 1420 it is on my 2nd harddrive that i want to install it and
> only the rescue cd works when installing it runs smoothly but as soon
> as I take out the cd and reboot it starts up and at the system clock it
> hangs. I have no raid controller at this point but have no clue what to
> do next. I tried with f3 different flavors and it all hangs at the same
> point. Please advise.

I'm afraid that Woody is probably not a very good choice given your
hardware as it's kernel and installer are quite ancient now and do not
support modern hardware, certainly not SATA.

A better choice would be the new installer [1] for Sarge (that now looks
to be really getting close to being released).
The RTC (real time clock) issue is a known issue [2] for Dells (although
it's new to me that Woody is also affected) and has a workaround [3] for
use with the new installer.

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=277298&msg=86

Hope this helps,