Re: Install Manual - URL update suggestions

Hello Doug,

Thanks very much for going through the links! I've fixed most of the
errors and added some comments to your suggestions.

Cheers,
FJP

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 19:41, doug jensen wrote:
> 1.1. What is Debian?
>   which states, "Our home page has moved", then a link goes to
>   http://www.fsf.org/
Fixed.

> 1.8. Your Documentation Help is Welcome
> The link to http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ goes to the
> English version of Debian GNU/Linux Installation Guide, is that
> intended? If the intent was to show the "different architectures and
> languages", should the link go to http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/
> instead?
As the working version is on alioth, I have changed the link to there.
(A list of archs/langs for the official version is available from
http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/installmanual)

> 2.6. Network Connectivity Hardware
>   The link to "Linux MCA discussion archives" works, but it doesn't
> appear to have any content.
The link works for me. I get a page with the option to search archives.

> 3.6.1. Invoking the BIOS Set-Up Menu
>   The mini HOWTOs have been move in with the other HOWTOs, the link is
> now: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/install.html.
Fixed.

> 3.3.1.1. Installation Manual
> This file you are now reading, in plain ASCII, HTML or PDF format.
> install.en.html
>   The "install.en.html" link points to:
>   http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/install.en.html
>   but that link gives a 'Not Found' error, maybe the link should be to:
>   http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/index.html
The problem is that this link is correct if the manual is read from an
installation CD. I'm not very happy with that paragraph anyway; it will
probably be changed to just have a general link.

> 6.3.4.3. Install the LILO Boot Loader on a Hard Disk
> The link points to  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html
> 'mini' has been removed so should be http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LILO.html
Fixed.

> 7.3. Log In
> In addition, there are some special folders within the /usr/share/doc/
> hierarchy. Linux HOWTOs are installed in .gz format, in
> /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/ and /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/.
>   The 'mini' HOWTOs have been moved to the same directory with the
> other HOWTOs, so the reference to 'mini' can be removed.
Fixed.

> 7.3. Log In
That should be 8.1. If You Are New to Unix
> Would the following FAQ list (or one of them) be better?
> A link to the User-friendly FAQ is included.
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/
I've included a link to the Debian Reference here for basic information.
I've also included the URL you suggested with the following text:
  This <ulink url="&url-unix-faq;">list of Unix FAQs</ulink> contains a
  number of UseNet documents which provide a nice historical reference.

> B.5. Debian Partitioning Programs
> The original Linux disk partitioner, good for gurus; read the fdisk
> manual page.
>   The 'fdisk manual page' links to
>   http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/fdisk.txt
>   which causes a 'not found' error.
Hmm. There were a lot of man pages in txt format included on the Woody
installation CDs, depending on architecture. These have now been dropped
because the installer has it's own partitioning tool. I've deleted all
references to the .txt files.

> B.5. Debian Partitioning Programs
>   Which links to http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+FreeBSD-2.html
>   should be changed to http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+FreeBSD-2.html
>   because 'mini' HOWTOs are no longer separate.
Fixed.

> B.5. Debian Partitioning Programs
> ... A simple-to-use, full-screen disk partitioner for the rest of us;
> read the cfdisk manual page.
See above.

> B.5. Debian Partitioning Programs
>   Probably should be changed to
>   http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/index.html
Fixed.

> B.5. Debian Partitioning Programs
>   http://www.phoenix.com/pcuser/BIOS/biosfaq2.htm
>   shows a 404 error, but a 'BIOS FAQ' is located at:
>   http://www.phoenix.com/en/Customer+Services/BIOS/BIOS+FAQ/default.htm
Fixed.