Re: Hard drive not detected with 2.6 kernel

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a new laptop, an IBM Thinkpad T43.  So, of course, I
> immediately started putting Debian on it with RC2.  The first problem
> I ran into is that the integrated ethernet card (Broadcom NetXtreme)
> was not recognized.  So I selected the tg3 driver, and it worked fine.
> Using the 2.4 kernel, I was able to install a new system.
>
> However, for various reasons I won't go into, I wanted to use the 2.6
> kernel.  Unfortunately, the netinst iso can not detect my hard drive.
> I get a "No partionable media" error.  I get a similar problem if I
> build a custom 2.6 kernel and use it on my 2.4 install.
>
> I have tried with "noapic nolapic" and "noapic nolapic acpi=off", but
> I still get the same error.  The hard drive is a Fujitsu MHT2060AH.
>
> Are there any other kernel options that might work?  I would have
> tried a daily build, but the link seems down.

It turns out that I have an SATA drive.  After searching around the
net, I compiled a kernel with SATA compiled into the kernel (no
module) and without Advanced Partition Support.  After changing
everything in /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf from /dev/hda to /dev/sda,
it works fine.

Cheers,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu