Re: How to reinstall Grub from Debian

Hello Franz,

> You can reinstall grub using grub's own command line tool grub-install
> (see 'man grub-install').

thanks. Reinstallation with 'grub-install /dev/hda' from within Debain worked for me fine.

For completness I should mention here that Ubunutu boot menu entry was created, however not the Ubunutu recovery boot menu entry.
Would it be worth to file an error report against debian-grub?

> Boot loader installation is something that is done before the reboot
> as part of setting up the base-system; configuring it is a completely
> different subject.

There are also cases, when Debain distribution can no longer be started from the boot menu. Reason may be a MBR virus that corrupted Grub from a MS Windows partition or e.g. MS Windows installation subsequntly to the Debian installation, which replaced Grub in the MBR by directly starting MS Windows.

Here a method is needed to reinstall Grub after booting from Debian-install-CD.

After booting from install CD, e.g. the Red Hat installer allows reinstallation of the boot manager (and doing hard disk partitioning with Fdisk) without being required to perform subsequently a full Linux installation. So far I've been missing this option in Debian installer...

Br,
Michael