How to reinstall Grub from Debian

I have installed several linux operating systems at the same time on my system. These were Red Hat, Debian Sarge RC3, Ubuntu 4.10.

When installing Debain, Debian installed Grub in Master boot record. Grub had detected Red Hat and Debian.
After subsequently Ubuntu, Ubuntu installed Grub in Master boot record. Grub had detected Ubuntu and Debian. Red Hat was not detected. (This is an Ubuntu bug, likely one that became  fixed by Debian RC2.)

Nevertheless, I want now use Debian Sarge to change or reinstall the grub boot manager, however:

+ from within Gurb (re)-installation is not possible with 'base-config' tool.
+when starting the 'systemtools-> system start' tool (Translated from german: 'Systemwerkzeuge-> Systemstart'),
I get shown the identical grub configuration as it was created by Debian before installation of Ubuntu. This information no longer reflects the current grub configuration nor any change to the confguration shown here does change grubs boot behaviour.

How can I reinstall grub from my Debian installation?
I think even after installation of Debain, 'base-config' should allow reinstallation of Grub. Did I miss anything here?

Josy

PS:
>fdisk -l

/dev/hda1               1         365     2931831    b  W95 FAT32
/dev/hda2             366        1338     7815622+  83  Linux
/dev/hda3            1339        4111    22274122+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5            1339        2067     5855661   83  Linux
/dev/hda6            2068        2310     1951866   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda7   *        2311        3039     5855661   83  Linux
/dev/hda8            3040        4111     8610808+  83  Linux

Fat32 partitions are not in use.