Re: 3 days until end of test period

Hi Rick,

On Thursday 17 March 2005 09:11, Rick_Thomas wrote:
> The only difficulty I had is that it tried to install quik and failed
> because I didn't create any boot partition -- because I prefer to use
> MacOS-9 with BootX as my boot loader.  So for me, quik is unnecessary
> and undesirable.  I wish there were a more graceful way of telling the
> installer that I don't want quik, but allowing it to try and fail does
> the job, albeit messily.  It's certainly not worth holding up the
> release over.

The floppies install with DEBCONF_PRIORITY=expert, whereas the CDs use
DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low. At expert-level (or even at medium) you're asked
whether you want to install quik or not. IMHO the sensible default answer is
yes, because allmost all oldworld machines can boot from quik.

But maybe the priority should of that question should be lowered ? Or better:
if some hfs partitions are found (which are mandatory for bootx, right?), the
question wether quik should be installed, should be asked. If there are no
hfs-Partitions it's a safe bet to install quik (on oldworld).

A word to quik: on some models (i only know the 7200 for sure) quik installed
by d-i works "out-of-the-box". your beige g3 and my 4400 belong to those
models who suffer from certain known problems regarding open firmware and
quik. The problems on the 4400 are software fixable from within linux (see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/04/msg01130.html) , which is afaik
not true for the beige g3.

regards,
 Holger