Re: tulip_cb support?

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Walter Landry wrote:
> > > The tulip_cb module is part of the nic-pcmcia-modules udeb.
> >
> > Well, after loading the drivers from the floppy, there is
> > no tulip_cb.o in
> >
> >   /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-386/kernel/drivers/net/pcmcia
> >
> > Moreover, if I download
> >
> >   nic-pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-386-di_1.04_i386.udeb
> >
> > and unpack it, I don't see tulip_cb there either.  I see other
> > drivers, but not tulip_cb.
>
> Ah, I grepped for tulip_cd and didn't notice only xircom_tulip_cb came back.
>
> There is no tulip_cb module in the 2.4.27 kernel. I assume you're
> talking about a kernel module built from the pcmcia-cs package. Those
> kernel modules are generally obsolete and we do not include them in the
> installer. So far this has simplified things greatly for us without
> seeming to cause any problems since the in-kernel pcmcia modules have
> sufficied for pretty much everyone for years now. Also because the
> pcmcia-cs kernel modules are no longer even being built in debian by the
> pcmcia-cs maintainer. I can't find tulip_cb in any .deb in testing.

pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-2-386 has it.  However, I found this page

  http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/README-2.4

which suggests that the correct driver is tulip.  If I wait to insert
the PCMCIA card until after the ethernet card detection and then
manually select the tulip driver, then the ethernet driver works.  Woohoo!

With RC2, I got the error that kernel modules can not be found.  That
went away when I used the daily snapshot.  I had some trouble finding
a good mirror, but eventually got one to work (mirrors.kernel.org, I
think).

Once I rebooted, I got a kernel panic if I kept the PCMCIA card
inserted.  If I leave it out, I manually unloaded tulip.o, inserted
the card, loaded tulip.o, and then ran dhclient.  Otherwise, it all
went fine.

So I now have a functioning system.  However, it looks like hardware
detection with PCMCIA cards could use some work.

Thanks a lot,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu