d-i has 99% support for filesystem labels (was: Re: Serious kernel problems on new i386 hardware)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:20:00PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Miros/law Baran wrote:
>
> >>it worked.  I really regard this problem as serious because it
> >>probably leaves people with SATA hardware with an unbootable system
> >>after kernel-image updates, because the kernel image packages just
> >>reinsert "root=/dev/hda?" into grub's menu.lst. Any idea how to
> >>solve this problem?
> >
> >...by using partition labels in fstab?
> Sorry, I do not know anything about partition labels but if this is
> the solution it should be done in the installer and if this works in
> Grub menu.lst this should be done here as well.

I gave some of the relevant people in the d-i team an education on the
benefits of filesystem labels, to to the point where partman will create
filesystems with a label, however I didn't manage to convince them to mount
by the label in /etc/fstab

regards

Andrew

--