Re: d-i and popcon

On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 09:36:26AM +0100, David Schmitt wrote:
> On Sunday 13 February 2005 08:34, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Why not make popcon part of the base system?
>
> <advocate client="devil">
>
> Because nobody[1] likes phone-home software[2], especially as long as
> unofficial and local packages are reported[3].
>
> </advocate>

<client = "real customer with real advocate">

In a large contract we signed recently, the presence of "illicit software"
(phone home, time bombs, backdoors, ...) was the condition with the harshest
penalties (unlimited liability, recovery of all damages, contractual
possibility for civil and criminal penalties against contractor ...). I
prefer to not send a quote from the original text, but this is no joke.

So, from a privacy and legal point of view, you might have to
_very explicitely_ document this "phone home" feature to the user and at
least provide the explicit option to not install or activate it.

</advocate>

Peter