Re: d-i and popcon

(re-including Bill in the discussion.....I'm not sure he follows -boot)

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):

(answering Martin Krafft who requested about the status of this issue
after Frans Pop proposed to make popcon a special task, installed by default)

> > Will we get any comments on this proposal, or is it just silently
> > ignored?
>
> Well I'm not making any task changes for sarge at this point.

Which is understandable, of course.

The need for popcon to be installed still exists and losing this
valuable information on users installed systems will certainly make
popcon stats far less valuable and useful.

We discussed a lot about this with Bill : he demonstrated me why he
didn't notice immediately that popcon was not installed anymore : the
effect on his graphics were not very obvious, at least immedately.

This explains why the request for re-including it came so late.

As the tasksel option is not option, other ideas have to be examined.

Why not make popcon part of the base system?

This would require changes to this package only. This would of course
need the approval from the release team, and maybe the technical
commitee, but the issue is maybe worth it.

After all, by installing it on every install up to RC1, we indeed made
it more or less part of the base system.