Re: Desktop task broken on !(i386/powerpc)

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 06:49:53PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> > FWIW, this is exactly the way Mandrake does this and it's quite
> > successful for new users...
> >
> > Personally I would be in favour of such an approach.
>
> As already mentioned, the main problem is certainly that we all did
> not pay enough attention to this tasksel thing during the last months,
> while we still had the opportunity of "playing" with it.

Ah, no, there where a bunch of people who didn't like it, especially as it
started breaking on all sides when kde was uninstallable on non-mainstream
arches, and we were told that this was the right true way. Please don't go
into revisionism at this time. I agree that it may be too late for this,
altough maybe not, but we choose this approach in full knowledge.

> Our now famous "Bob User" will for sure never use the method suggested
> by Joey for choosing tasks. And, yes, I've already hearde about some
> Bob Users complaining about the desktop tasks installing too much
> stuff (my own son comes first as he first reserved only about 1.5GB
> for his first Debian install....and then filled his hard disk with the
> desktop task...:-))).

Not to count people liking to do test-installs in 512MB ex-swap partitions :)

> The Simple/KDE/Gnome approach seems reasonable to me as well.
>
> However, for this to happen, we need to help Joey with tasksel. He did
> nearly all the job on this in the last 12/18 months...

Yes, agreed on this. That said, his insitence that this was the right way
in the past didn't encourage volunteers, i would guess.

> So, branching it is probably the first thing to do (there used to be a
> "newtasksel" thing somewhere at some time, IIRC) so that "breaking" it
> has less consequences.

Yep.

Friendly,

Sven Luther