Re: Bits about countrychooser and languagechooser

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:04:43AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
>  you choose "ru" Russian (Other countries) as language rather than
>  "ru.RU" Russian (Russia)

So you will be presenting the (Other countries) selection for each
supported language? It a bit redundant.

> -ru_DE will be your default locale
Wow, never thought about that. Would this work? I guess not at the
moment, but it'll be really descriptive.

> -Russian keyboard will be the default choice for you (or German....but
>  having the default keyboard depend on language rather than country
>  seems more logical to me)

Not quite. Living in Germany is not easy in the Linux world - for
example, I had to use a custom keymap for the xkb configuration back
in the XFree86 4.2.0 times, because the russian layout is based upon
the US layout which I do not want to use. I guess the console does
have the same problem, so I'd prefer to take the German layout, as I
won't need to enter anything in russian language (except maybe for
username, but I am really not sure, if UTF-8 in /etc/passwd is
acceptable), but I'd really like to find the right special characters
on my german keyboard.

> I'm not completely aware of the consequences of unsupported locales.
> Which value do you use for locale on your current system, Nikolai ?

Currently, I am using ru_RU.UTF-8 at home and de_DE.UTF-8 at work,
which gives russian and german language respectively. I have done some
differentiation on LC_CURRENCY, which is set to de_DE.UTF-8 also at
home.

BTW, I remember base-config generating ru_RU.KOI8-R for me at the
second stage -- but I wish my UTF-8 locale to be the default!

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org