Re: help with install on Dell SC420 / SATA / Sarge / netinst / ata_piix

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 11:54:09AM -0800, Register, Dadrien wrote:
> I'm trying to do a netinstall with current Debian (Sarge) on my new Dell SC420 server. Here's my drive config:
>
> 2 SATA 10k RPM WD Raptor 36gig drives connected to onboard raid configd as raid 1.
>
> Promise S150 SX4-M Raid 5 controller
>
> 3 SATA WD 200gig drives configd as a raid 5.
You could be the first one with this hardware configuration.

> I'm loading Debian with:
>
> linux26 ata_piix
>

> Debian is detecting my promise card and loading the sata_sx4 driver auto.
>

> The unusual thing I'm seeing is that it detects all my drives,
> but states that it cannot detect a common cdrom drive and prompts me
> to provide one. None of the included drivers seem to work.
What information did you provide for "common cdrom"?

> When loading the 2.4 kernel this doesn't happen,
> but I can't get my nic or ata_piix drivers to work.
2.4 kernel does not have the ata_piix module.

> I think it's weird considering I'm booting by cdrom with the netinstall disc. Any ideas? Thanx in advance.

You are the one with this hardware. Investigate further ...

Cheers
Geert Stappers