Re: Checking partition type using parted_server

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 11:09:35PM -0500, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> I am on a personal crusade (never-ending, it seems) to implement the
> checks for sparc, ensuring that silo will work properly in the selected
> partitioning scheme. Among other things, I need to check that the disk
> where kernel is installed has a sun disklabel. Unfortunately, I wasn't
> able to find a parted_server function which would return it (the DUMP
> command returns it, but sends it to the output file). One idea (which I
> don't really like) is to parse parted's output. I am thinking of
> implementing a function which would return the partition table (disklabel)
> type in parted_server (GET_DISK_TYPE or something), which would just
> return disk->type->name. Any other ideas?

The aboot-installer package (sorry, bad form on my part, there is no
partman-aboot udeb :) currently works around this for Alpha by calling
the parted command and including a corresponding udeb dependency.  It
would be nice if this were integrated into parted_server, but I'm pretty
sure it isn't there yet (or wasn't when I was implementing
aboot-installer).

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek