Re: driver disk feature

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Joey Hess wrote:

> Pretty much all installation methods include a menu item to load a
> driver floppy, which can contain udebs that contain kernel modules or
> other programs to be added to the installer's initrd. It's not very well
> documented, but it's there. You'll also be prompted for a driver disk if
> the installer cannot find eg, a driver for your ethernet card.

Hi Joey, thanks for pointing this out.
However, I went installing on my system with this unknown disk controller,
and the installer would just bail out, with no option to feed him a
floppy.

On the side, AFAIK all the little kernel udeb provide a small portion of
functionality. So what you say, it is possible to have a floppy with a
udeb of my driver, the installer loads the module into the kernel and off
we go.
On the installer disk, there is also a kernel-image deb, and that one does
not include the module. How is the module supposed to be installed in the
/target system?

BTW, what installer does for sure offer the 'driver floppy' functionality
(net, bc, etc) ?

thans,

--
dick visser