Re: NIC not recognized by vanilla boot floppies

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:31:59AM -0600, John and Holly Klug wrote:
> On my machine, my NIC is not recognized by the boot floppies CD image.
>
> When I try to manually install it per SysKonnect directions I get a
> device or resource busy message.
>
> lspci says it is from Galileo Technology Ltd.  The support from
> Syskonnect says it is a Marvell Yukon chipset.  I found a patch for this
> in bug report #283191, and massaged /usr/share/misc/pci.ids, so at least
> lspci works now.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~dwhedon/boot-floppies/vanilla-3.0.23-mini.iso
>
> My NIC is SMC 9452TX Gigabyte, which uses driver sk98lin.o according to
> SMC.  The kernel finds the board, but says it is an unknown device.
>
> I found this reference that says that if the board is recognized by the
> kernel, you just need to execute ifconfig.  My board must not be recognized.

> How can I get the kernel to recognize my Marvell Yukon ethernet board or
> install the driver so I can use the boot floppies?

Don't expect much support on the old debian installation programm
called "boot-floppies".

If it is not yet fixed in release candidate two, rc2, of debian-installer[1],
then have a close at discover[2].

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/