Re: d-i support for USB target media

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:26:58PM +0000, Geoff Soutter wrote:
> Hi ppl,
>
> I recently installed Sarge to a USB hard disk and had to jump through a
> few hoops to do it ... here's the install report.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/11/msg01601.html
>
> Basically, d-i doesn't currently support installing to bootable USB
> devices, the appropriate USB modules are not automagically added to the
> target system's initrd so the disk is never found and the boot fails.
>
> I was wondering, is installing to a USB device something that the debian
> installer is supposed to do? Or have the USB modules been deliberately
> excluded for some reason?
>
> I looked on the Wiki and web site but this problem doesn't seem to be
> mentioned, so I'm not sure if it these USB modules are deliberately
> disabled or if it is a simple oversight.
>
> If it is something that d-i should support, and it's just a simple
> oversight, I would consider thinking about creating a patch for it (not
> that I have any idea about d-i particularly, but I can learn... ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Geoff

Hello Geoff,

<warning for="compliment" because="could be sarcastic, but is not">
  Thank you for your compliment.
  The debian-installer is modular by design
  and you proved that one can use the modules that are available.
</warning>

As Far As I Known covers the "hd-media" image from USB devices.
"hd-media" is different then the 'default' "netinst" image.

You find it at
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/
( also linked at
http://www.nl.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ports-status )

Please try that image at your hardware.
And tell us if one can do an install with hoop jumping.

Cheers
GSt