D-I rc2 can't find scsi drives on 440BX/linux26, works on linux24

I have access to a box on which D-I RC2 will install fine using the
linux24 target, but fails during the partition disk step with "no
partitionable media were found" when the linux26 option is used.

It's a Tyan Thunderbolt 440GX/440BX box with 2x SCSI running on an
AIC-7896.  aic7xxx itself seems to be properly detected and loaded
under D-I 2.6.

I know the 440BX has a rich history of weirdness, which is why I'm not
filing this as a bug report (unless someone asks), though I couldn't
find a duplicate per se.  Bug #242114 is described with similar
platform and history, but I'm pretty sure my issue here isn't the
partman overlapping partition problem.

The box works fine under Ubutu Warty, and can be fdisk'ed, mke2fs'ed,
and accessed normally on both disks.

Under 2.4, there's a relatively long pause during the aic7xxx
detection step, but it proceeds fine.

noapic has no affect.

Also, this is probably a (known) kernel issue, as the box will panic
during boot if 2.6 is installed during a successful D-I linux24 run.

Might be worth a mention on the "known issues/workarounds" part of the
wiki.

-- jared@wordzoo.com

"One cannot mark the point without marking the path."