Re: Netinst MD5 Error on P3, but NOT on P4

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:38:50 +0000 Christian Mack <mack_kn@gmx.de>
writes:
> Hi John
>
> John J Waldeck wrote:
> >         Struggled to setup OS on ASUS P4S533-X with Intel P4,
> 1.8GHz CPU.
>
> Is this a notebook?
> Which Chipset?
> CD on SATA, SCSI, IDE?
ATX (12 in X 9.6 in) MOTHERBOARD, NOT A NOTEBOOK, WITH SiS645DX NORTH
BRIDGE CONTROLLER USING IDE

> >  First found out it wouldn't load Windows 98 or earlier.  Then I
tried my

> That has nothing to do with debian!

TRUE, BUT I SUSPECT THIS IS A MEMORY MANGEMENT ISSUE, WHICH AFFECTS BOTH
SYSTEMS.

> > Woody installation disks and got errors.
>
> What errors on which install command (linux, vanilla, bf24)?
> Which woody release (r1, r2, r3)?
ON INSTALL THE BASE SYSTEM:
./pool/main/u/util-linux/util-linux_2.11n-4_i386.deb was not pre
downloaded
USING COMPACT VERSION OF INSTALLER FLOPPIES:
  SYSLINUX 1.66 2002-01-01
  KERNEL 2.2.20-COMPACT (RELEASE UNKNOWN)

> > Next I tried to load the next Debian version by CD using netinst:
Debian GNU/Linux testing  "Sarge" - Official Snapshot i386 Binary-1
(20040930).
> >         Downloaded the ISO, then burned a CD on a P3, 733 MHz  system
(which runs Woody).

> OK, you got a i386-netinst of pre_rc2 then.
>
> > I tried testing the netinst CD on the P3 System, but it failed
I was sort of stuck here.

> What did you do exactly (linux, expert, linux26, expert26)?
> What did when fail?
> What error messages did you get?
> Was there something on console 3 and/or 4?
LINUX (default <enter> at boot: prompt); PROCEEDED AUTOMATICALLY TO
ACCESS CD, AND GOT:
THERE WAS A PROBLEM READING DATA FROM THE CDROM...
  FAILED TO COPY FILE FROM CDROM RETRY?
  ON STEP: LOAD INSTALLER COMPONENTS FROM CD
DIDN'T CHECK OTHER CONSOLES.

> > Then I tried to check CD-ROM integrity and it failed MD5 checksum
verification on

> >         ./install/2.6/initrd.gz
> >
> > I ran the MD5SUM.EXE on the component and found it to be the same as
the checksum on the MD5SUM.TXT file on the CD:

> >         d0e0ecffd33d919023ded989eb860bce ./install/2.6/initrd.gz
> >         d0e0ecffd33d919023ded989eb860bce *initrd.gz
> >

> As it works on 2-nd run, there seems to be a problem with your  CD-ROM
or your drive.
> Could you check dmesg for errors?
> Could you burn another one and check this?
NOT EXACTLY; MD5 ON CD LIST OF CHECKSUMS (first entry above) MATCHED MD5
CHECK FROM WINDOWS/DOS USING THE MD5SUM.EXE PROGRAM (second entry above).
 HAVEN'T GOTTEN TO CHECK DMESG, BUT HAVE THE SAME ERROR ON 3 CDs ALREADY.

> >         Finally, I went to the P4 System and got it to run and
install Sarge with the base-config OK.  So in checking hardware
requirements I found nothing to indicate a restriction for either a P3 or
a P4  system on either Woody or Sarge.  Yet my motherboard manual does
specify Windows 98SE or later in the back of the manual.  Is this some HW
problem  with Sarge and Woody installer disks, such as a memory mapping
change between the MB or CPU?

> >         jjwdeck
>
> There is definitely _no_ restriction of that sort in either woody  nor
sarge.
> That your motherboard doesn't support pre Windoze 98 only means, that
there
> are components on it, which don't have DOS drivers available.
> Again, this has nothing to do with debian.
>
> You should send in separate bugreports for each of this 4  installation
attempts.
1. WOODY (FLOPPY INSTALL) ON P4, FAILED
2. SARGE NETINST ON P3, FAILED
BUT WOODY INSTALL WORKED ON P3 (MONTHS AGO) AND SARGE INSTALL ON P4
WORKED LAST WEEK.  I AM GETTING THIS INFORMATION TOGETHER TO FILE BUG
REPORTS; BUT WOULD LIKE HELP TO FIGURE WHAT RELEASE OF WOODY INSTALLER I
USED.
        jjwdeck