Re: missing tools from d-i ?

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 11:50:09PM +0100, Fabrice LORRAIN (home) wrote:
> ping is not provided by d-i. It's a handy tool to have to diag. network pb.
>
> lspci is not provided by d-i. /proc/pci is obsoletware for 2.6 and does
> not exist with current 2.6 debian kernel.
>
> Am I the only one to miss those tools ?
>
> Are there other way to have the same features/informations ?

A few weeks (months) ago there was here, this ML, a thread
about using d-i as recovery toolkit.

> By the way, openssh client in expert mode is a nice stuff to have. You
> guys should be more vocal about it... scp log files is way faster &
> cleaner than writting it down.

It is documented in the wiki[1].

Despite that I'm a 'server/clientsss man',
I like the design phisolophy that d-i is for standalone installs.
(in other words: "It would be wrong to enforce a second computer
with ssh tools ( scp & sshd ) available for install." )

> @+,
>
> 	fab

Geert Stappers