Re: lilo/grub image background? [was Re: bootsplash option for d-i?]

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 08:06:25PM +0100, Xan wrote:
> > > Since we're mentioning Ubuntu, the reason we rejected the bootsplash
> > > patch for the Ubuntu kernel was that including it broke the part of the
> > > installer that starts up the framebuffer in a way that we concluded was
> > > impossible to repair within the design of bootsplash.
>
> And what's about lilo/grub background image?. Is that an option in d-i?
> Perhaps an interesting thing: if we could not have the bootsplash, we could
> have lilo/grub graphical display.

I believe that boils down to the grub and lilo packages providing one, and
there being a consensus on what the image should be...

I have also heard that in certain combinations of hardware, kicking into the
video mode required to display the graphic causes issues, so in the
interests of reliability, it has been left alone.

regards

Andrew

--
linux.conf.au 2005   -  http://lca2005.linux.org.au/  -  Birthplace of Tux