Re: Search for patched yaboot testers ...

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 04:54:46PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2004, at 6:01 AM, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:46:58AM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:
> >>The new yaboot seems to work at least on one of my machines.  I'll
> >>try some others later.
> >>
> >>Specifically, I tried it on my Blue&White G3.  I booted holding
> >>down the "C" key (ADB keyboard) and got the yaboot messages.  At
> >>the "boot:" prompt, I typed "expert video=ofonly" and it did the
> >>expected things.  In fact everything proceeded as expected til I
> >
> >Ok, thanks, can you forward info about this to the bug report ? It is :
> >
> >  267812@bugs.debian.org
> >
> >>got to the partitioner, which hung up trying to look at the
> >>partitions on the disk on my SIIG Ultra ATA 133/100 Pro IDE
> >>controller PCI card.  The "dmesg" command on the "F2" console
> >>showed a bunch of messages
> >>
> >>	hdg: dma_timeout_expiry: dma status == 0x24
> >>	AEC62XX timeout <4>hdg: lost interrupt
> >>
> >>I've seen this before with 2.6 kernels.  I've reported it to the
> >>list in installation reports, but nobody seems to care.
> >
> >Can you fill a bug report about this against the powerpc
> >kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc ? It seems to be a powerpc kernel problem.
> >
> >>So I was unable to proceed any further on that machine.
> >>
> >>... later ...
> >>
> >>I also tried it on my grey G4 minitower 733MHz.  Worked fine up to
> >>partitioning disks.  This is a production machine with no free disk
> >>partitions, so I couldn't proceed any further than that.  I've got
> >>a G4 450MHz at work with some free partitions, so I'll try a full
> >>install there tomorrow.
> >
> >You tried only CD booting method, not net or disk, right ?
> >
> >>What was the bug number of the bug report you wanted me to reply to
> >>for the new yaboot?
> >
> >See above.
>

> I got a chance to do an install from your mini.iso on a test machine.
> It's a "G4 350 MHz (AGP graphics)".  I'm not clear as to whether this
> will install your test yaboot or not, but here's what happened:

This will use my test yaboot for booting from the CD.

> I booted off the CD and chose the default (i.e. non-expert) install at
> the "boot:" prompt.  I answered all the i18n questions with the default
> (US-English) and configured the network manually (no DHCP on this net).
> I chose the "debain.rutgers.edu" mirror because it's located in the
> next building over on the same campus and I have a 100-Mbit connection
> via campus LAN to it from the test machine. (I'm used to doing installs
> over a fairly fast cable-modem that gets about 4 Mbit/sec on a good
> day.  This was *much* faster.  <-8)  When it came time to partition the
> disk, I chose a guided partitioning, and it set me up with a 1 MB
> "boot" partition, a 4 GB "root" partition, and a 260 MB swap partition.
>
> Then, for some reason I don't understand, it tried to install the
> "quik" bootloader.  This is definitely a NewWorld machine, so it should
> have known better -- I would think!  In any case, that got an error,
> and it offered to let me install yaboot instead, which I did.

This is definitively a bug, could you fill a bug report about this ? i guess
quil-installer or debian-installer are the packages to report a bug against.

> When the first phase was over, and it came time for the reboot,
> everything went completely as expected, and I finished the installation
> after an uneventful reboot.  If this was using your new yaboot, then
> I'd say the test was successful.

Well, to test booting from the disk, you need to install my yaboot .deb, run
ybin, and try rebooting.

> If this sequence does *not* exercise your new yaboot, please give me
> instructions for what to do next.  I'll be in Atlanta for the
> USENIX/LISA conference all next week, so my next opportunity for
> testing will be a week from now.

Ok.

Friendly,

Sven Luther