Usability & localization (was: shortcut for language/country/keymap is useful)

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 19:40, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > combinations _technically_ installable. But there is still a great
> > lack in usability.
>
> Usability has been a major concern since the beginning of d-i
> development. And, for instance, confusing users with complicated
> locale settings is for sure *not* improving usability....:-)

I think the submitter was not really talking about d-i in his last mail,
but rather about the tools/knowledge required to reconfigure the system
_after_ installation so that different users/uses can be accommodated.

I somewhat understand what he's talking about, because it took me a very
long time in Woody to set it up for accents and add euro support (and I
never really got it done).
dpkg-reconfigure, and especially learning which packages should be done,
can be quite a challenge.

Let alone customizing the kdb-definitions (in the Netherlands the Euro key
tends to be put on different keys: Alt-gr + e, r, 5, ...). Which of the
about 2000 files should be edited, how do you make sure the next upgrade
does not undo all your carefull changes?