Bug#279090: No 2nd stage after installation with netinst CD using network-console
There are two separate problems which result in a broken installation if a
user uses network-console during 1st stage installation after booting
with the netinst CD.
(If I install using a businesscard CD, the installation runs fine.)
This was tested using i386 netinst CD (daily build from 20041029).
- boot qemu using netinst CD debconf/priority=medium
- proceed in qemu; select network-console in 'Load installer components'
- configure network, configure network-console
- log into installer using ssh from terminal on normal machine
- continue rest of 1st stage installation from ssh
After 'rebooting' the installed system in qemu, I only get a login prompt
(base-config is not run because /etc/inittab is not modified for that).
Also, I can not login to the system using ssh (as ssh is not installed).
The prebaseconfig script from network-console fails quietly because the
command 'apt-install network-console-config' fails as this package and
ssh (on which it depends) are not available on the netinst CD.
info: Running /usr/lib/prebaseconfig.d/90prepare-base-config
warning: /usr/lib/prebaseconfig.d/90prepare-base-config returned \
error code 1
I have not yet traced the exact cause of this error (will try to follow up
later), but the result is that /etc/inittab is not configured to run
I think this is a structural problem when prebaseconfig is run from ssh
that has been overlooked until now.
- network-console's prebaseconfig script should test the result of
apt-install and display a message (probably suggesting to run
base-config from the machine's console) if it failed
- prepare-base-config should be fixed to not fail when prebaseconfig
is run from ssh
However, this would probably result in base-config being started after the
reboot, which is not what we want (we want it to be run from ssh if
possible). So we need the following additional changes:
- network-console's prebaseconfig script should set a flag somewhere that
indicates if network-console-config and ssh were installed correctly
- prepare-base-config should test this flag and _not_ modify /etc/inittab
if and only if network-console-config and ssh were installed correctly
I'm not sure if network-console-config and ssh should be included on the
netinst CD, but I guess they should both be included on the first full CD
in an official set.