Bug#276244: Grub fails on install of Debian Testing
Package: Grub / Debian installer
Version: Debian Installer, floppy-install prerelease marked as Working,
downloaded oct. 8. 2004 (from
Package: Grub or Debian Installer
- Four Western Digital Venturis P1, 100-133 Hz,
harddisks betwen 13 and 160 GiB (one harddisk on each),
64 MB RAM on each computer
- One TCI 80486 dx2
one 80 GiB harddisk
32 MB RAM
Harddisks partitioned as:
- /boot (~30 MB at the beginning, marked as active bootpartition),
- swap (~300 MB directly after the boot partition),
- / (all remaining space)
What I do to demonstrate the problem:
- Install Debian, by fetching the distribution over web.
I am using the plain installer (pressing [enter] at the initial
- Reboot the computer after the initial packages have been successfully
- A Grub - menu, with boot option
- BIOS screen with initial data, and below is the following message:
* GRUB Loading stage1.5.
* GRUB loading, please wait...
* Error 18
Suggested fix: Either replace GRUB with LiLO from the plain installer,
or fix the problem with GRUB and large harddisks.
All computers are running Debian Testing perfectly if I use the old
installer from Woody, and keeps LiLO as bootloader when upgrading to
Testing. A quick Google using the keywords 'Grub "error 18"' gave me 547
different hits at the time of this report (okt. 12. 2004), so personally
I think this might be a serious problem with GRUB.