fresh Sarge install, boot failes

Hello list,

I hope this is the approperiate list for this question. If not, please point me in the right direction. I'm having problems booting my fresh Debian Sarge installation, 2.6 kernel.

Because I'm nowhere near the machine at the moment, I cannot give specific information, so I'm only looking for pointers where the problem might be (yeah, infront of the monitor ;).

Hardware:
* Pentium IV, 3.2 GHz HT;
* ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe [1];
	* Promise 20378 RAID controller;
* 2 120 GB S-ATA harddrives;
* ATI RADEON X800 Pro videocard, currently (temporarily) replaced by an older RADEON for Knoppix 3.3 to boot;
* onboard NIC, onboard sound

I've tried various builds of the netinst and businesscard ISO's, found on http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/sid_d-i/i386/current/. The last one I downloaded (and tried) was dated 13-Sep-2004 (both `netinst' and `businesscard').

I only encounter errors when I use a special bootable /boot partition, LILO can't find nor mount it. When I use a bootable / both LILO and GRUB install just fine (according to syslog, messages and console 3), all goes without errors. I reboot and nothing happens. The screen flickers for a half-a-second, right at the point when the bootloader should boot the system. My guess is that LILO nor GRUB are installed in the MBR properly somehow, but the BIOS doesn't complain about non-bootable devices. It just hangs there.

Booting off the install CDROM, or an older Woody installation CDROM, with `linux root=/dev/sda1' gives only errors about unable to mount the root device.

I can imagine you need more detailed information to help me out, so just ask :) If there are known bugs or others have solved the same kind of problem, please let me know. I could always plug in an IDE disc, install Debian Sarge, compile a custom 2.6 kernel and copy all data to the S-ATA discs. But I would like to do this the "normal" way.

[1] http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.htm
http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4C800-E%20Deluxe

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Best regards,
Jan Reilink, VEVIDA Nederland BV

Postbus 329, 9700 AH GRONINGEN, +31(0)50 - 5492234