Re: RC bugginess in progsreiserfs; feasibility of removal from sarge, impact on d-i?

At 19 Sep 04 00:16:35 GMT,
Steve Langasek wrote:
> RC bug #244169 has been outstanding on progsreiserfs for five months
> with no indication of movement towards a resolution.  By all rights, it
> would seem appropriate to remove this package from sid, but
> progsreiserfs is also the source package for libreiserfs0.3-udeb, used
> by d-i.
>
> Is anyone on this list willing to take responsibility for addressing
> this RC bug?  If not, are there changes that need to be made to d-i to
> safely remove the packages (udeb included) from sarge, or will partman
> gracefully downgrade its fs support in the absence of
> libreiserfs0.3-udeb?

Only one package, libparted description says:
 Note that ReiserFS support is only enabled if you install
 the libreiserfs0.3-0 package.

Other packages, d-i and partman seem don't need packages in progsreiserfs.
partman-reiserfs uses only mkreiserfs-udeb in reiserfsprogs.
mkreiserfs-udeb depends only libc6, libuuid1.

(oh, I found netinst includes mkreiser4-udeb and
reiser4progs-udeb... are they really needed?)

Test:
Remastering netinst CD (20040918 sid snapshot) without
libreiserfs0.3-0, and test it.

- - Simple create reiserfs partition => OK. There is no problem. It
  works (includes 2nd stage).
- - When I tried manual resize, it is simply ignored. I entered such as
  "50%", "1GB", "500" or anything, but partman (parted) simply back original
  size again in silence.

- - I found similar resizing problem with another FS. Here is test result.
  EXT3: OK
  EXT2: OK
  JFS: BAD. won't resize in silence
  XFS: BAD. won't resize in silence
  FAT: OK
  FAT32: OK
  SWAP: OK
  LVM: OK
  RAID: OK

In my opinion, if progreiserfs has RC and anyone can't fix it soon, it
can be dropped from Sarge. ReiserFS mkfs support is still there on d-i.
I don't think resizing problem is so really critical.

But if d-i can't handle ReiserFS/JFS/XFS resize, I think it is better
partman shows these partition size as label (static, can't be choiced by users),
instead of menu. Or shows warning, or add mention at errata.

(Hmm, what's #271487 of reiserfsprogs?)

Thanks,
- --
Kenshi Muto