Re: new oldworld pmac miboot 2.6 floppies, root size should be ok, net_drivers still too big, please test.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 04:25:43AM -0400, Rick_Thomas wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 05:48, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 11:25:58AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have uploaded oldworld 2.6 miboot floppies at :
> > >
> > >   http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/miboot
> > >
> > > Could people please test them, as i don't have the hardware for it.
> > >
> > > These should all be the right size, except the net_drivers floppy. I need to
> > > move some stuff from it to the cd_drivers or something such.
> > >
> > > But still i would be interested if :
> > >
> > >   1) the boot or ofonlyboot floppies actually boot a kernel.
> > >
> > >   2) the root floppy gets loaded and actually does something usefull.
> > >
> > >   3) it is possible to use the cd_drivers floppy to do a cd install with them.
> > >
> > > All tests except 3) should be doable without touching the harddisk.
> >
> > Well, i moved some part of the net boot stuff to the cd-drivers floppy, but
> > this is not a nice solution, since it is confusing to need the cd-drivers
> > floppy for a net install.
> >
> > Still, this means we now have floppies of an appropriate size, and can do test
> > again, once we are sure they work, we will tidy up the rest of it, altough i
> > welcome suggestions on how to best solve this (my first approach of floppy
> > stuff having been earlier this morning).
> >
> > Friendly,
> >
> > Sven Luther
> >

> Hi Sven,
>
> Progress, of a sort...
>
> I was really hopeful because when I booted either of the "boot" or
> "ofonlyboot" floppy, I got the TuxMac icon for a while and the Mac made

Cool, this means the miboot generation code is fixed.

> happy floppy disk reading noises.  However, the noises eventually
> stopped and a red "X" appeared over the TuxMac. Then nothing.  I had to
> manually eject the floppy from the drive.

What we need would be a way to get a log of it or something. I have a
suspsicion that the pmac floppies being modular maybe one of the causes of
this, not sure though, possibly another modular important piece of the kernel.

It really is a kernel issue though, can you boot the 2.6.7 kernel with bootx
or quik ?

Remember me what happened with the 2.4 powerpc-small based floppies ?

> Both "boot" floppy disks did the same thing.  I tried re-writing them on
> a different drive, and I tried booting on a different machine.  All
> writes were verified with "cmp" to guard against old/dirty/recalcitrant
> floppy drives and floppy disks.  Same results every time.

Ok, but still a progress over previously.

> Sorry I don't have a better report...
>
> Keep on keepin' on!
>
> Rick
>

> PS:  Would it be possible to make and read a "net-drivers2" floppy, as
> an alternative to putting net drivers overflow on the CD-drivers floppy?
>
> Just a thought...

Yeah, that will be done once we fixed the above issue.

Friednly,

Sven Luther