Re: RC1 - successes and failures.

On Sun, Aug 15, 2004 at 12:13:48PM -0300, Joey Hess wrote:
> Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> > Self build machine based on an Intel desktop board with P4 at 1.6GHz,
> > 40GB Maxtor drive as /dev/hdb. Initial install passing linux26 as the
> > boot parameter failed at the partitioning stage when no disk was found.
> > expert26 succeeded at this point and produced a working installation
> > Standard 2.4 install went through without a hitch. [Three install
> > attempts, one failure here]
>
> Did you do something different in expert mode (than just taking the
> defalts)? I suppose you must have, or the problem must be intermittent.
No, that was what surprised me.  However I jumper the drive, it always
seems to come out as /dev/hdb - so it may be a drive/cable oddity.
However, the expert install, asking a few more questions, worked fine -
as did the 2.4.  It may be worth adding a note to the install notes in
general advising that, if the defaults don't work immediately when you
use linux26 then it could be appropriate to retry with expert mode but
at the cost of more questions.

HTH,

Andy