Re: release status

Joey Hess wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:
I set out to find whether the new manual provides that kind of information, or pointer to where it may be found. In the course of my search I have discovered: a) http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.arm/apas03.html contains links to a.1 The Multi Disk HOWTO <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html> which is quite old and seriously out of date. I doubt whether any but the most frugal would be satisfied, for example, with the partitions sizes recommended on http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO-10.html#ss10.1. If nobody wants to take on the task of revising it, I suggest the link be dropped.

It's only two years out of date and looks generally correct to me as far
as workable minimum sizes go. I see no real reason to drop the link.

I have a minimimal Sarge install. it's 200 Mbytes.

That rules out Learning.

I don't know what hoppies one can practice with 300 Mbytes of free disk and no optional packages, but it seems to me you'd be constrained.

If you want a GUI disktop and a reasonable set of software, 2 gbytes is about the going rate: it's what I used on RHL 7.3, it's about what the progeny install I just did takes. SuSE 9.0 came out a bit lite at 1.4. I don't have a recent equivalent Sarge to look at.

I know my 30 Gbyte drive is bulging at the perimeter. If I thought to master DVDs it would be nowhere near enough.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait