Re: release status

Joey Hess wrote:

<http://dragon/~joey/blog/entry/d-i_retrospective-2004-08-07-19-46>

I guess anyone not on my home network would prefer this url:

<http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/d-i_retrospective-2004-08-07-19-46>

A partcular concern I have is the reason for so many Apache packages. I've never discovered documentation as to why there are apache, apache-ssl and apache-perl, and how to decide which one(s) to install.

I set out to find whether the new manual provides that kind of information, or pointer to where it may be found. In the course of my search I have discovered:
a)  http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.arm/apas03.html contains links to
a.1 The Multi Disk HOWTO <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html> which is quite old and seriously out of date. I doubt whether any but the most frugal would be satisfied, for example, with the partitions sizes recommended on http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO-10.html#ss10.1. If nobody wants to take on the task of revising it, I suggest the link be dropped. a.2 A link to Partitioning Strategies <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Partition/partition-5.html#SUBMITTED> which gets a 404.
b) No manuals for PowerPC or s390.

--

Cheers
John