Install hang with debian-installer b4/tc1

Hi,

I am trying to install debian sarge (with debian-installer) on a 1.4Ghz Athlon with a K7S5A motherboard, AHA-2940W SCSI controller, 4GB SCSI disk, 40GB IDE disk, network card and vga card. I tried to use the boot cd for test candidate 1 and when it gets to detect hardware the monitor turns off and the machine is unresponsive.

I tried beta 4 boot disks, booted, loaded network modules, downloaded install files and on the partition screen there are no harddisks to choose from (I want the install on the IDE disk).

I tried beta 4 boot disks, booted, loaded cdrom drivers, then it tries to detect the network card and monitor switches off and the machine is unresponsive.

I though the SCSI disk could be causing problems, so I've tried booting with linux noscsi and linux aic7xxx=no_probe,no_reset but I get the same problems each time. As the monitor dies I can't even do Alt-F3, Alt-F4 to look at the install log. Someone suggested removing non essential PCI cards and trying again (perhaps the SCSI controller?), but what else can I try?

Thanks,
Darren