Re: new debian-installer images for sparc

On Sun, 30 May 2004, Joshua Kwan wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Here is a mini-ISO image I cooked up with SILO rolled back to 1.3.2. Tom
> Callaway suggested that I try this because a lot of new stuff related to
> initrds changed in 1.4.x.
>
> http://june.voxel.net/~joshk/mini.iso
>
> Tell us what happens! (And wish me luck on finals!)
>
> --
> Joshua Kwan

Hi,

I have tested the installation with the above image on Sparcstation 10
using the serial console. The image works fine except for a couple of
minor quirks, which do not seem to affect overall functionality (was able
to complete the install just fine):

1. After the initial boot it tries to load modules sunhme (which seems to
be wrong for my hardware - Sparcstation 10) and sr_mod (which is not
included). Following messages appear in /var/log/messages:

 Using /lib/modules/2.4.26-sparc32/kernel/drivers/net/sunhme.o
 insmod: init_module: sunhme: No such device
 insmod    sunhme
 modprobe: failed to load module sunhme
 insmod: sr_mod.o: no module by that name found
 insmod    sr_mod
 modprobe: failed to load module sr_mod

2. After the installer components are downloaded, attempt to load sunhme
module is done again and, again, it fails.

3. The pseudographics is screwed up after reboot as reported before and as
shown at http://www.wooyd.org/d-i/second.png

Best regards and good luck with exams,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org