Re: Resignation

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 07:38:22AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
[...]
> Finding an internationnaly recognised standard for these highly
> sensitive topics such as country names is *very* difficult. Up to now,
> I'm still convinced that the less bad list is iso-3166 (Denis Barbier
> proposal is also the use of iso-3166 as ICU codes are officially
> announced to use iso-3166).

This is plain wrong, my opinion is that we do not have to get stuck to
a standard; maintainers are solely responsible to their packages, and
if some people dislike these choices, they can fork it.
So in my modified version of countrychooser, I gathered English names
from ISO 3166, ICU or other sources, and did the same for the French
translation.

Denis