Re: r14631 - in trunk/packages/countrychooser: . debian

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 09:59:30PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2004-05-03 01:32]:
> > > Well, I have no other idea for sorting else than alphabetically on
> > > language code. This was indeed discussed when I raised this bug (at
> >
> > What ever happened to the idea of sorting by ISO codes, which are
> > probably easier to look for than English translations of one's native
> > language?
>
> Uh, no, sorting by ISO code is really not intuitive when the ISO code
> itself is not displayed.  Sorting by ISO code but displaying country
> names makes it really hard for me to choose the right country.  I live
> in Great Britain (GB).

Please use UN official names, you live in the United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland ;)

> So obviously I press "G"... however, "G" leads me to Germany, and
> between Germany and Great Britain, there are lots of other names
> because Germany == DE.  When I press "G", I should be
> close to all countries starting with "G".  I think sorting by what you
> see (i.e country names) is the only sane approach.  Or adding the ISO
> code before the country name, but that's kind of ugly.

Err, I am lost.  Your original comment is about #215205.  AFAICS
this bug can be closed, Petter prepended language choices with
locale names.
If you are looking at countrychooser, the easiest solution is indeed
to prefix country name with country code.  Otherwise it cannot be
sorted at run time (because C.UTF-8 cannot sort strings for all locales)
and must then be sorted when building packages.  Cdebconf has some
support for sorted lists (see changelog entry of cdebconf 0.54) but
I did not yet find a good way to deal with this.

Denis