d-i: recreating MBR or boot floppy (rescue mode)

Hi!

found the MBR overwriten by another OS. I thought I could test to recover with
d-i, so I did.

Installing grub or lilo needed to reenter the partition table, (which is ok)
but I couldn't figure out how to write the MBR without newly installing the
base-system. When selecting grub or lilo install it always called the
base-system install first. It noticed the partition wasn't empty and
rejecting to copy droped me back to the main menu.

I could not find an option to generate a boot floppy to be able to recreate
the MBR from the running system either.

Is that intended, just not suported or did I just not figure out how it is
supposed to be done?

Regards,
Christian