Re: Debian installer for Apple XServe

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:32:38AM +0100, Pip Oomen wrote:
> On the debian-boot mailing list I noticed you are working on the
> ppc/newworld installer and I was wondering what the current status is
> for the nightly builds. Should it install now? Any point in burning a
> netinst image?

Well, not really, my main focus is the powerpc/xhrp boxes, but yeah i
can help you some.

> I have a Apple XServe on which I would love to install Debian, but with
> the last attempt (nightly build from march 9th) it failed the
> recognition of the IDE drives (missing IDE modules), and thus I could
> not get to the partitioning of the system.

Mmm, do you have any kind of linux running on the box, if so, can you
send us the lspci and lspci -n output ?

> I am a bit short on spare time to fully investigate and participate in
> the perfectioning of the installer for Sarge, but since I have an
> incentive to get Debian up-and-running on the system, I can provide you
> some feedback on the installation on XServe.

The best would be for you to do an installation report, which you can
find at :

  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

So this info doesn't get lost.

> Another problem is that all other PPCs I have are running MacOSX, so
> building the install image from scratch is not possible, since
> cross-building is not supported, although I did spent some hours on
> getting that to work ;)

Ok.

Friendly,

Sven Luther