apt not taking Sarge netinst cdrom, no mount points for floppy/cdrom

I have been going through the installer and (overall) am very pleased with it.  I do have a couple of questions:

aptitude will get stuck at "insert SARGE disk" when using it for a source (after apt-setup has scanned the cdrom).  any workaround for this?  md5's show the cdrom to be good.

once completed i didn't have fstab and mtab entries for the cdrom and floppy.  is this common?

also i am doing a netinst using a PPP conection, so i am opening another terminal and using pppconfig to connect (or trying, haven't got it working yet) to the internet so i can update my apt sources.  i can activate the modem (pon connection) but after that nothing (it attempts to connect and hangs.  no modem usage.  poff doesn't work/have to cd into /usr/sbin/ to use it)  anyone have luck with this approach?  maybe suggest a better way?

Quick specs:
Gigabyte mobo
Athlon 1800
128mb ram
external modem (known to work in linux)
generic cdrom

partitioning worked very well by the way.  again, installer is looking good.

thanks,
preston