Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Subversion

First of all, thank you for your reaction.

On Sunday 21 March 2004 14:43, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 02:14:40PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> This move has been announced a couple of months ago. It has been clear,
> that it will be done, it has been until now unknown, when this is to
> happen. Now you know.

People are joining the project all the time. I joined about two weeks ago, so
I missed the original announcement and for me the move comes completely out
of the blue.

> > - - I am running Woody, and subversion IS NOT available for Woody. (Oh
> > sure, there is something at backports.org and I'll try and get it from
> > there, but that is not really the Debian way.)
>
> Why not? It's just a debian package source, like any other. Any anyway:
> this is all about the Sarge installer, and subversion is in Sarge. We are
> currently in the transition phase....

Mainly because of the risk of conflicts between backports. In this case, it
does not look to bad (I used the backport by Colin Watson).

> > - - I was just getting comfortable with cvs, and now I have to invest
> > fairly valuable time in installing and learning a new tool. Where do I
> > find the information for setting it up?
>
> Subversion has been AFAIK designed to be mostly compatible with cvs on the
> commands basis. apt-get install subversion should be enough to start, the
> necessary command to check out the repository has been mentioned a couple
> of times and also mailed to the translator by Christian. Committing is
> about as simple as in CVS - svn commit will do.

Because I joined recently, I have not seen any of this. I think it would be a
good idea to make some basic information available on
Everything there still refers to CVS...

I would especially appreciate information on how to 'convert' my local working
directory from cvs to svn.

> > - - I was using Cervisia (from KDE) as a front-end for CVS - which made
> > live a lot easier - and I am not sure Cervisia supports svn (I'm fairly
> > certain it does not).
>
> Sid has a Subversion client called RapidSVN (it will certainly be
> available from backports.org), I have also used a java tool called jsvn
> (can be found from freshmeat), which is quite fine, I guess. BTW, you
> won't notice much difference between CVS and SVN if you're using GUI tools
> anyway ;)

No, RapidSVN unfortunately is not available...

So, in the end, I still think this could have been communicated better.

FJP