Re: [IMPORTANT] Moving to Subversion

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 02:14:40PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> - - The implementation has followed the announcement of intent by less than a
> day, so no time has been given to express views about the move (much less to
> consider the implications).

This move has been announced a couple of months ago. It has been clear,
that it will be done, it has been until now unknown, when this is to
happen. Now you know.

> - - I am running Woody, and subversion IS NOT available for Woody. (Oh sure,
> there is something at backports.org and I'll try and get it from there, but
> that is not really the Debian way.)

Why not? It's just a debian package source, like any other. Any anyway:
this is all about the Sarge installer, and subversion is in Sarge. We are
currently in the transition phase....

> - - I was just getting comfortable with cvs, and now I have to invest fairly
> valuable time in installing and learning a new tool. Where do I find the
> information for setting it up?

Subversion has been AFAIK designed to be mostly compatible with cvs on the
commands basis. apt-get install subversion should be enough to start, the
necessary command to check out the repository has been mentioned a couple
of times and also mailed to the translator by Christian. Committing is
about as simple as in CVS - svn commit will do.

> - - I was using Cervisia (from KDE) as a front-end for CVS - which made
> live a lot easier - and I am not sure Cervisia supports svn (I'm fairly
> certain it does not).

Sid has a Subversion client called RapidSVN (it will certainly be
available from backports.org), I have also used a java tool called jsvn
(can be found from freshmeat), which is quite fine, I guess. BTW, you
won't notice much difference between CVS and SVN if you're using GUI tools
anyway ;)

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org