Re: RFC: specification for probing other OSes

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:08:41PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> > IIRC for my Windows 2k system, the Windows installation creates a bootsector
> > on both the rootpartition _and_ the partition on which the /winnt directory
> > is created.
> > Unlike Debian, you don't have a choice :-(
> >
> > For older versions (95/98) I've had to recreate the bootsector.
> >
> > Note that for Windows NT/2k and maybe XP, the default installation is in
> > /winnt, not /windows and I think you have the option of changing the name of
>
> While discussing earlier with Joshua, we ended with this set of
> criteria:
>
> -if exist /io.sys, then partition is Win 9x/Me boot partition
> -if exist /ntldr, then partition is  WinNT/W2K/XP boot partition
>
> Seems pretty simple and does not depend on file names. *these* cannot
> be changed

You probably need to check in that order as well since IIRC you can have
9x/Me and NT/2K/XP installed on the same partition if its FAT based. If
both are installed the nt boot loader will allow the user to choose the
9x/Me OS itself (IIRC) so Debian won't have to worry about showing both.

Chris