Re: Intel Hance Rapid SATA-RAID

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 05:50:17PM +0100, domi wrote:

> I bought the Supermicro P4SCi mainbord which comes with an Intel Hance
> Rapid SATA-RAID controller ( actually I think it's an Adaptec 1230 XA
> - according to the software that controlles the raid )

> The raid array 1 has been made succesfuly and set bootable. But
> Debian doesn't see it during the install. ( Woody or Sarge's installer
> beta 3 )

> Was wondering is there is a driver for it because the driver disc from
> the mainbord manufacturer contains drivers for it for Redhat9 and
> Suse. Both are rpm's.

According to Jeff Garzik, there are no plans to support the ICH5 as a
RAID controller, because Linux has an adequate software RAID
implementation already.  (The implication seems to be that the ICH5 RAID
controller is not a true hardware RAID, but a hardware-assisted software
RAID; but I can't confirm or deny this myself.)

I have installed Debian on an ICH5-based system using the md-raid1
software RAID driver.  At the time, there was a lot of hand-twiddling
that had to be done -- the situation may have improved over the past few
weeks.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer