d-i: Main menu pops up before the base system gets installed.

  I am using the floppies of 20040312.
The main menu pops up during the installation of the base system, even
though the base system is not fully installed. I believe it happens when
I should be prompted for the selection of the kernel, but I am not sure.
The main menu hides most of the base system installation window.

  I have 2 other problems that I would like to ask about:
1. I am using a serial console. The fact that almost all, or perhaps
   all, the menus in the expert installation does NOT have an
   `execute a shell' option bothers me. As far as I know, with a serial
   console I do not have a way to look at the other VTs that are
   available in a physical console. Not being able to execute a shell
   doesn't let me any chance to solve any problem by myself, or so I
   believe.
2. I believe that with a full installed system that doesn't use a
   frame buffer, specifying

       console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8

   as kernel parameters will make a serial console the main console of
   the system while still keeping VTs in the physical console that is
   attached to the system. Is there a way to have something like that
   with the d-i?
3. I also tried the floppies of 20040303. With them I think I was able
   to get to the point where I should install a boot loader. Yet when I
   tried to install it I got a message about unclean target and files
   from a previous installation. I didn't fully understand what the
   problem is. In any case, I didn't get a boot loader installed.

--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I