Re: Supported install hardware for Sarge?

Joey Hess wrote:
[snip]
> > Is it realistic to expect that eventually *all* arches will keep their
> > files in the unified archive scheme and moreover that they will use
> > same names?

No, simply because some arches don't have subarches, and introducing a
"generic" subarch is ugly.

> I'm not sure about kernel naming. Some of those names may be hardcoded?

The name is defined in linux-kernel-di, and in the build/config/$(ARCH)
snippets.

> The image naming does in fact follow a logical scheme, it may be too
> complex to explain to users however. See the comments at the top of
> build/Makefile. I think the mips layout would be clearer if it were a
> slightly deeper tree structure. Same is true for some other arches, for
> example, ia64's boot.img should be cdrom/boot.img. There is no reason to
> have that in the top level.

I looks that way because I wanted to avoid a directory with only a
single file in it.

> OTOH, we have to keep the mips subarches separate, which will make it
> (and sparc) always look rather different than the i386 tree.

As well as arm, powerpc, mipsel...

> One thing that may be helpful is the MANIFEST file.

Referring to that is probably the best for the generic part of the
Manual.

Thiemo