[Solved] kernel-image*.deb missing (aka lilo won't install)
First, my apoligizes for the dup. For some reason, gmane kept my post
for almost 8 hours before delivering it...
I am going to describe how I eventually managed to install from the
network, which could be of some interest to Martin B. and certainly some
others. I have no insight on the installation process and so one, as I
brilliantly gave demonstration in my previous posts, so please comment
to make my instructions safer or tidier.
The objective is to install a kernel-image, which uses mkinitrd.
0) Normal installation up to lilo's screen
1) Alt-F2 to change to the shell prompt on tty2
2) mkinitrd needs to read /proc/partitions, so:
mount none -t proc /proc
3) mkinitrd also uses /dev/fd/*, so:
4) Alright, move to our brand new system:
5) Yeah, we have an editor (vi). Edit /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf
(which doesn't work, probably because /etc/fstab is empty)
ROOT=/dev/hda1 ## Or whatever device your root "/" filesystem is
6) Everything is ready, I think, for the installation to succeed:
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.23-1-686 ## or 586, or k6, etc
If that works, you may go back to tty1 (Alt-F1) and install lilo.
Note: I am not quite sure if the "mount none -t proc /proc" command
should be run in the chrooted environment or in the outer one...
Hope that helps someone.