Re: beta 2 plans

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 02:01:34PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 01:32:27PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, because it did not work, since there was no kernel support, and
> > d-i handles home made kernels very badly, at least it did last time i
> > tried.
>
> > beta2 if or when it is released for powerpc should work just fine on
> > prep, on chrp and chrp-rs6k, provided a boot method with separate
> > initrd can be used.
>
> Has code been committed to d-i to handle this?  I notice that m68k has
> the same need, and even on i386 it would be nice to be able to handle
> multiple kernel/initrd pairs in parallel for (hypothetically... :) an
> xfs-flavored kernel or a 2.6 kernel.  It would be nice to have a general
> solution for these multiple-variants-per-target scenarios.

I believe that it has not.

> > old world pmac and miboot booting is definitively not supported yet.
> > Someone with knowledge of that and access to hardware should work on it.
> > The kernel should be ready for it, but the kernel-di stuff should be
> > able to handle both the -powerpc config and the -powerpc-small one.
>
> I have access to such hardware, but I don't know how much time I'd have
> to work on it.

Jeremie Koenig said he would have look and if he don't suceed would lend
me his oldworld pmac for some time. I have had no followup news on this,
and am currently busy with some powerpc kernel work, among other the RTC
clock fixes needed to have the RTC clock work on pmac and other
architectures.

Friendly,

Sven Luther