Re: beta 2 plans

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 01:32:27PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, because it did not work, since there was no kernel support, and
> d-i handles home made kernels very badly, at least it did last time i
> tried.

> beta2 if or when it is released for powerpc should work just fine on
> prep, on chrp and chrp-rs6k, provided a boot method with separate
> initrd can be used.

Has code been committed to d-i to handle this?  I notice that m68k has
the same need, and even on i386 it would be nice to be able to handle
multiple kernel/initrd pairs in parallel for (hypothetically... :) an
xfs-flavored kernel or a 2.6 kernel.  It would be nice to have a general
solution for these multiple-variants-per-target scenarios.

> old world pmac and miboot booting is definitively not supported yet.
> Someone with knowledge of that and access to hardware should work on it.
> The kernel should be ready for it, but the kernel-di stuff should be
> able to handle both the -powerpc config and the -powerpc-small one.

I have access to such hardware, but I don't know how much time I'd have
to work on it.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek